Monday, November 11, 2013

Friendsgiving 2013 - I am thankful

It's that time of the year when we sit back and really reflect on what we are thankful for. I'll be honest, most years I usually just rattle off some obvious things (job, family, friends, etc.) just because those are the things you are supposed to be thankful for.

This year was different. Much, much different.

I sat down and really gave that looming question some thought: what am I thankful for? A long list started forming in my head, so I started to write them all down. It looked something like this:
  1. Being able to commit to my best friend and become his wife. (I have several gay friends who love their partners unconditionally, but they don't have the same opportunity to be married - let's hope that changes soon.) Therefore, I am thankful.
  2. Turning a house into a home for the first time. I've always wanted some place to call my own, something more permanent than renting a "so-so" place for a couple of years then moving. We bought a house. Granted, it hasn't been easy, and we're learning all about 'home-moaner-ship' quickly, but it is ours and we are making it our home. Therefore, I am thankful.
  3. The love and support from my friends. I've known some of them since 2nd grade, and others just a few months. But they are kind, and loving, and bring out different qualities in me that I might not otherwise be able to without them. Therefore, I am thankful.
  4. My health. Many of my family members have received life-changing news from their doctors (prostate cancer, breast cancer, MS, skin cancer, hip replacement surgery, emergency appendectomy). My biggest concern was new skin allergies in 2013, which seems so trivial compared to the ailments of my family. Therefore, I am thankful.
  5. My family. They have supported me always, and even more so this year (what I called "the year of change"). I got to welcome my sister-in-law into the family when she married my brother back in June, and she's fantastic! We welcomed our new nephew back in July and he's truly the  most laid-back, happy baby! My family has been, and continues to be, wonderful. Therefore, I am thankful.
So this year, when I was asked to host Friendsgiving 2013, I thought, "yes, this just feels right". For anyone who knows me, they know that I really don't care for the Thanksgiving "meal". Potatoes? No thank you. Stuffing? Maybe a little. Turkey? Pass! So hosting this year was not about "putting together so much food that you need sweatpants to pull it all off (although if that's what my guests fancy, I don't judge!.

This year was about friends. And laughter. Having a reason to get together, go through a bottle of wine (or nine) and just enjoy one another.

And that's exactly what we did.

I had a blast putting together some of the planning pieces of Friendsgiving 2013:

I used Sharpie markers to decorate wine glasses with everyone's name on the stem. The top says "Gobble til ya Wobble" and underneath the turkey says "Friendsgiving 2013".

We used a drill bit to fit tea lights in gourds.

 
The food was a BIG hit! So many good flavors!

I felt awfully grown up once the table was set.



 

I even had some spare time to make a door decoration (total cost was under $20 - thanks Hobby Lobby!).

 
 
Life comes at you in many different ways sometimes. And it takes these events to really  make you stop and think about what is important in life. Thankfully (that word's being thrown around quite a bit in this post), I still have plenty of more time to sit and reflect and take note of what I am truly thankful for. And it's not just in November, but this kind of reflection needs to happen more often. Stop taking things (or people) for granted. Cherish what we have. Continue random acts of kindness. And remind people of how important they are to us on a regular basis.
 
 
It's amazing to even have the opportunity to reflect on what I am thankful for this year. Therefore, I am thankful. 

No comments: