Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Altered Training

Well, I was right. What started as a small cold quickly became bronchitis. (Personally, I blame all those dumb freshman for making out with one another then having the nerve not to cover their mouths in one of my two classes this semester.) Regardless of how I became sick, the doctor said I have to take 2-3 weeks off.

I've never been one to listen to the doctor. When the doc said I needed to stay off my knee back in 2006, I laughed and competed in Collegiate Nationals. When they said, "Seriously, Meredith, no more" I chuckled, completed a sprint tri, flew out to California, ran a marathon the next day, then hiked up a mountain the following day. What happened? My knee cured itself. Something I doubt would have happened had I bonded with my couch cushion.

So when the doctor says, "Meredith, 2-3 weeks off, and I mean it this time" I will only half-listen. I won't go hard. I won't swim (I'll leave the spreading of sickness to the underclassmen). I won't run in terribly cold weather that might upset my lungs. But that won't mean that I'll lose all my winter training. Tomorrow will be a day of lifting and one LONG walk. Nice weather and the safety of being in my hometown with my parents allows me that comfort.

Ironman Wisconsin training isn't postponed, it's just temporarily altered. Can you dig?

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Hey Meredith, thanks for your comment on the video. I'm sorry to hear your cold has worsened. For us who are very active, often just slowing down is better than stopping altogether, I think (for one thing, we don't go as crazy!). Hope you get better soon!