Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fresh Air Does A Body Good

Please keep in mind that temperatures have been wicked cold lately. It's not uncommon to wake up in the morning before work (at a lovely 4:45am) and see the wind chill reading -19. That's cold. Going to work this morning was cold, but not nearly as bitter as a week or so ago, temperatures were actually in positive digits. Hurray!

As a matter of fact, temps reached into the 50's today. There is a beautiful breeze streaming through all windows in my dingy apartment. With every deep breath, I feel better. It is almost as though I'm smelling freshness for the first time again. College kids were outside playing bags, starting pickup games of street hockey, walking in shorts and t-shirts, and of course there were the ones sitting along the side of the road with the sign "You honk; we drink!". Needless to say that my post-work nap had a soundtrack of various pitches of horns in the background of it.

I feel so much better now. Healthy foods, drinking more water, and breathing fresh air is making me feel alive. You know how a dog sticks his head out a car window and just looks like he's in heaven breathing in the air? Well, minus the shedding, I'm like that today. Every few seconds or so, I pull myself away from my laptop where I'm finalizing a study guide for my midterm tomorrow morning (and writing this as procrastination, of course), and fill my lungs until they are at full capacity. Too bad there isn't an invention where I can store up all the fresh air so that tomorrow morning when the next snowstorm hits, I can revert back to feeling alive again.

Basically, thank you to global warming, or El Nino, or Mother Nature, or whoever is responsible for today because this temporary escape from winter weather was exactly what I needed. My body thanks you!

No comments: